A recommended workflow for simplifying the preparation of content by using separate Channels before moving to shared Channel
Use a "staging" Channel
Instead of indexing directly into the Channel where content will ultimately be shared, make a separate Channel and index (or copy or move from an existing Channel) the content there. This way you are only dealing with a small subset of content, making it easier to tag and manage thumbnails. Then move the content to the shared Channel when ready.
- Create a new "staging" Channel.
- Index (or Copy, or Move) content into the staging Channel.
- Add/adjust tags to content as needed. Use the Tags and Filters Editor or Tag IO to more easily make bulk changes.
- Verify thumbnails are appearing as desired. Customize and/or Virtualize thumbnails as needed.
- Move content from the staging Channel to the shared Channel
That's it! The tags and thumbnails follow the content to any Channel where the content resides, so the content comes into the shared Channel ready to go.